Hot Tub Electrical Installation
Unless you’re a professional electrician, you should hire a contractor to install your hot tub for you. Its wiring requirements are more complex than they might seem at first glance. Our licensed electricians are highly trained with years of experience, which means you can trust us to install your hot tub safely and efficiently.
You’ve decided to enhance your house with a new hot tub. Great idea!
You’re also considering installing it on your own. It can’t be that hard – right? Wrong.
Unless you’re a professional electrician, you should hire a contractor to install your hot tub for you. Its wiring requirements are more complex than they might seem at first glance. Plus, an electrical contractor will be aware of common mistakes that lead to faulty installations and can even create safety hazards.
Hazards of DYI Hot Tub Wiring
- Panel Capacity. The first thing your licensed electrician will check is whether your current service can accommodate the increased power load. Your new will require a fair bit of electricity to operate properly. We strongly recommend evaluating this before making your purchase.
- GFCI Protection. All outdoor electrical outlets – especially outlets close to the water – require GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) protection. This safety measure will quickly disconnect your hot tub from the electrical supply in case of an electrical short. If you don’t install a GFCI – or if you install it incorrectly – you run the risk of fatal electrocution.
- Electrical Bonding. Similarly, any metal parts your tub used to conduct electricity must be electrically bonded together and bonded back to the electrical panel. It’s very important to have a professional complete this work, to avoid wiring problems or shorts that could shock or electrocute your hot tub users.
- Grounding Errors. Grounding is another safety measure that allows electricity to be safely discharged into the earth in case of an emergency. Failure to ground your wiring is yet another severe electrical hazard waiting to happen.
- Tripping Breakers. If your breaker trips as soon as you turn your hot tub on, that’s a sign of an issue. Whether it’s evidence of moisture in your system, typical wear and tear, loose wires, or improper connections, you’ve got a risk on your hands. Your breaker is simply an alarm bell telling you that further investigation is needed to keep things safe.
Are you looking for the best electrician near you?
Our electrical contractors provide electrical repairs and installation services in Abbotsford and all communities throughout the Vancouver Lower Mainland 24/7.
Why Hire an Electrician?
By now you can see the hazards of trying to install a hot tub on your own. But why should you hire an electrician to do it for you?
- Electrical Codes. Licensed electricians have the training and experience to deliver workmanship that meets the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) and any local regulations. Not only do they understand the safety measures required, but they can take care of any necessary permits for your new hot tub.
- Insurance. In the event of an accident involving your hot tub, your insurance provider will likely want to confirm that your hot tub installation was inspected and approved. Without this documentation, your insurance company is unlikely to provide a settlement. When you hire a professional electrician to complete the process, you’ll get that certificate – and you should also have peace of mind that you’ll be avoiding that potential accident.
- Trained Professionals. We hire professionals because we know they’ll do a better job, quickly resolve any obstacles, and give us assurance that the job is done right. How much more true are those things when you’re dealing with something as powerful and potentially deadly as electricity? To us, it’s a no-brainer.
The team at Central Electrical is proud of the years we’ve served our local communities in Abbotsford and the Lower Mainland. Our licensed electricians are highly trained with years of experience, which means you can trust us to install your hot tub safely and efficiently.
Give us a call and let us take care of the installation so that the only thing you need to worry about is remembering to bring a towel to the tub with you.Give us a call!
Get in touch
- 29219 Marsh McCormick Rd, Abbotsford BC V4X 2B4
- Mon-Fri 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
- 778 255 2222